Thursday, September 23, 2010

MacGyver would be proud

While the overall intent of this blog is to provide some informative observations on Turkish culture and a way for people at home to keep track of me, I must take a brief moment for self-congratulation. (It's actually couched in a story about how things in Turkey are not always perfect, so I guess it is still blog-worthy without my disclaimer.)

Last night when I returned to my room at about 10PM, none of the lights or electrical outlets were functioning. Since it was late and I was lazy, I decided that, rather than ask the front desk or somesuch for help, I would play it by ear. Now, the bathroom is a separate room into which no light from the outside world penetrates when the door is closed. How could I bathe in abject darkness? Simple: I took Lil' Brudda into the bathroom (normally a terrible idea, but you know what they say about desperate times), turned his screen up to its full brightness, opened a blank word processing document so the screen would be white, and voila! -a bathroom with enough light to bathe by.

Hopefully I can bring this kind of resourcefulness into the classroom when the time comes...and that time could be as early as Monday. I have my bus ticket to Uşak in my purse already. Heyecanlıyım!

No comments:

Post a Comment